TOUR TO THE KÖTHEN AUTUMN FESTIVAL (KÖTHENER HERBST)
Leipzig – Köthen (85 km)
September 2 – 5, 2021
DAY 1, INDIVIDUAL ARRIVAL AND LEIPZIG
We meet at the hotel in Leipzig at 11 am. In Leipzig, Johann Sebastian Bach spent the second half of his life. After an extensive tour around the city’s many Bach sites there is an opportunity to visit the Bach Museum and explore the city individually.
TAG 2, LEIPZIG – HALLE A.D. SAALE, 40 KM
In the morning we start cycling, you will receive your rental bike at the hotel, if you booked one. We leave Leipzig behind and cycle along the dikes of the White Elster, including a swimming stop at a lake if the weather is nice, until we reach the city center of Halle. Here, we visit the Museum of the eldest Bach son, Wilhelm Friedemann-Bach-House, and the George-Frederic-Handel- Museum, Handel being one famous Bach contemporary.
TAG 3, TAG 10, HALLE A.D. SAALE – KÖTHEN, 45 KM
We continue to the second stage of the trip to the residential city of Köthen. If the weather allows, we stop off at a lake. We spend the late afternoon discovering Bach’s traces during a tour of the city and will have a special surprise dinner. Afterwards, we listen to a concert in the city palace (Spiegelsaal) with sonatas for traverso and harpsichord by J. S. Bach.
(Further information about the festival here)
TAG 4, KÖTHENER HERBST AND INDIVIDUAL DEPARTURE
We begin the last day of our short tour with a festive church service in St. Agnus. At 11.30 am, we visit a second concert of the Köthen Autumn Festival in the chapel of the city palace. We finish our tour with the final concert of the festival in St. Jacob Church at 4 pm with Brandenburg Concertos and Bach cantatas played by Le Concert Lorrain. Afterwards everyone will embark on their individual journey home. Alternatively, you can contact us regarding an additional night in Köthen.
INCLUDED IN THE PRICE:
- Nights at mid-range hotels incl. breakfast
- lunch packs or picnics (on cycling days)
- 1 dinner in Köthen
- All entrance fees to museums and churches: Bach Museum Leipzig, George Frederic Handel Museum, Wilhelm-Friedemann-Bach-House, City Palace Köthen
- City tours in Leipzig and Köthen
- Eintritte in 3 Konzerte des Köthener Herbst:
- Saturday, September 4, 2021, 8 pm: Chamber music with Marten Root, traverso and Menno van Delft, harpsichord, Spiegelsaal city palace
- Sunday, September 5, 2021, 11.30 am: N. N. chapel city palace
- Sunday, September 5, 2021, 4 pm: Brandenburg Concertos e. g. with Le Concert Lorrain, Church St. Jakob
- Luggage transport from first to last hotel
- Guided Tour
- List of equipment
- Sheet music and information leaflets on Bach’s compositions
PRICES: coming soon
Per person in double accommodation:
Per person in single accommodation:
- Rental trekking-bike: on request
- Rental e-bike: on request