THE YOUNG BACH: TOUR TO THE BACH BIENNALE WEIMAR (next dates in 2018)
DAY 1, SELF ORGANIZED ARRIVAL AND MÜHLHAUSEN
We meet at 2 p.m. at the hotel in Mühlhausen and explore the medieval town together. Young Bach had his second employment here. We visit the Divi Blasii church and St. Mary’s Church as well as the city archive, where we will see the certificate of Bach’s employment.
DAY 2, MÜHLHAUSEN – EISENACH, 45 KM
On our way to Eisenach we cycle through UNESCO World Heritage Hainich National Park, famous for its primeval beech forest. Afterwards, we take a tour around the city where Johann Sebastian Bach was born and visit the Bachhaus Eisenach. Explore the original places, streets and alleys where young Bach grew up.
DAY 3, EISENACH – GOTHA, 40 KM
We depart from Eisenach and cycle along the Hörsel, passing through the gentle rises and falls of the mythical Hörsel hills. Upon arrival in Gotha, we visit Friedenstein Castle, where we will see the baroque Ekhof Theatre with its original stage machinery. Our lodgings for the night are especially beautiful, situated within the Augustinian monastery in the old town.
DAY 4, GOTHA – WECHMAR – OHRDRUF 20 KM
In the morning, we continue the trail towards Wechmar, the Bachs’ place of origin. There we visit the ancestral home of the Bachs, housing the largest family tree of the musicians’ family as well as the original mill, formerly owned by great-grandfather Veit Bach.
In the afternoon, we bike the short distance to Ohrdruf, and stay overnight in a hotel right next to the grounds of Ehrenstein Castle. We explore Ehrenstein Castle and the idyllic village of Ohrdruf. Bach stayed here as a pupil with his elder brother. A unique highlight is the preserved library within the tower of Michaelis Church which holds hymnbooks and books of sermons dating back to Bach’s time.
DAY 5, OHRDRUF – ARNSTADT, 25 KM
We briefly stop in the Thuringian forest and reach Arnstadt in the late morning. Following Bach’s footsteps, we walk around the historic city center and then make our way towards Bach Church to hear organ music and an introduction to the history of the building. We visit the Bach exhibition at Arnstadt’s Schlossmuseum (Palace Museum) and the Bach House Arnstadt.
DAY 6, ARNSTADT – DORNHEIM – ERFURT – WEIMAR, 52 KM
We start the day by following along the way Bach’s wedding party took to his wedding church in neighbouring Dornheim. After a guided tour of the church (where couples are still getting married on same bench as Bach did!), we continue on our way along the Gera towards Thuringia’s capital, Erfurt. Here you are shown the most important places of interests concerning Bach and stroll through the city centre before reaching our destination for the day, Weimar. In the evening we will hear the opening concert of the Bach Biennale.
DAY 7, WEIMAR
In Weimar, you are guided around the surviving Bach sites, such as the city castle and city church, where many of Bach’s children where baptised. After this there is some time to explore the city. In the evening we will join the Baroque Celebration oft he Bach Biennale with music and dance from Bach´s time.
DAY 8, WEIMAR
Today we visit further concerts of the Bach Biennale in different parts of the beautiful city of Weimar.
DAY 9, DEPARTURE
After breakfast, everyone will embark on their individual journey home. Alternatively, you can join our shuttle to Mühlhausen.
INCLUDED IN THE PRICE:
- 8 nights at mid-range hotels incl. breakfast and 5 lunch packs
- 1 group dinner in Ohrdruf
- All entrance fees to museums and churches: city hall-archive Mühlhausen, Church Marien Mühlhausen, Church Divi Blasii Mühlhausen, Bachhaus Eisenach, Bachstammhaus Wechmar, Ehrenstein Castle Ohrdruf, Michaelis Church Ohrdruf, Palace Museum Arnstadt, Traukirche Dornheim
- City tours in Mühlhausen, Eisenach, Ohrdruf, Arnstadt, Weimar
- Organ tours and organ concerts in Church Divi Blasii, Mühlhausen and Bach Church, Arnstadt, Wender organ
- Concerts/events Bach Biennale Weimar: Opening concert, Baroque Celebration, Sounding Bach frescos
- Luggage transport from first to last hotel
- List of equipment
- Sheet music and information leaflets on Bach’s compositions
- Double guiding
The booking is processed via our operator ViadellArte.
- Rental trekking bike (21 gears) for 8 days or rental e-bike/8 days; all bikes include bike bags, locks, tools and helmet
- Return shuttle from Weimar to Mühlhausen (incl. luggage and bike). Shuttle leaves Monday, 9 a.m.
Price: tba per Person (double room)
Single supplement: tba
Group size: min. 15, max. 22