THE YOUNG BACH – TOUR TO THE BACH BIENNALE WEIMAR:
MÜHLHAUSEN – WEIMAR
JULY 6, 2019 – JULY 15, 2019
DAY 1, SELF ORGANIZED ARRIVAL AND MÜHLHAUSEN
We meet at 2 p.m. at the hotel in Mühlhausen and explore the medieval town together. Young Bach had his second employment here. We visit the Divi Blasii church with an organ tour and St. Mary’s Church as well as the city archive, where we will see the certificate of Bach’s employment.
DAY 2, MÜHLHAUSEN – EISENACH, 45 KM
On our way to Eisenach we cycle through UNESCO World Heritage Hainich National Park, famous for its primeval beech forest. Enjoy the geographical center of Germany in Niederdorla and fantastic views of the Thuringian Basin.
DAY 3, EISENACH – GOTHA, 40 KM
In the morning we take a tour around the city where Johann Sebastian Bach was born and visit the Bachhaus Eisenach. Explore the original places, streets and alleys where young Bach grew up. We depart from Eisenach and cycle along the Hörsel, passing through the gentle rises and falls of the mythical Hörsel hills.
DAY 4, GOTHA – WECHMAR – OHRDRUF 20 KM
Upon arrival in Gotha, we visit Friedenstein Castle, where we will see the world´s oldest baroque theatre, the Ekhof Theatre, with its original stage machinery. We continue the trail towards Wechmar, the Bachs’ place of origin. There we visit the ancestral home of the Bachs, housing the largest family tree of the musicians’ family as well as the original mill, formerly owned by great-grandfather Veit Bach.
In the afternoon, we bike the short distance to Ohrdruf, and stay overnight in a hotel right next to the grounds of Ehrenstein Castle.
DAY 5, OHRDRUF – ARNSTADT, 25 KM
Today we explore Ehrenstein Castle and the idyllic village of Ohrdruf. Bach stayed here as a pupil with his elder brother. A unique highlight is the preserved library within the tower of Michaelis Church which holds hymnbooks and books of sermons dating back to Bach’s time.
We briefly stop in the Thuringian forest and reach Arnstadt in the late morning. Following Bach’s footsteps, we walk around the historic city center and then make our way towards Bachhaus Arnstadt and the Bach Church to hear organ music and an introduction to the history of the building.
DAY 6, ARNSTADT – DORNHEIM – ERFURT, 27 KM
We visit the Bach exhibition at Arnstadt’s Schlossmuseum (Palace Museum) and the Bach House Arnstadt. We start cycling by following along the way Bach’s wedding party took to his wedding church in neighbouring Dornheim. After a guided tour of the church (where Bach fans from all over the world are still getting married today), we continue on our way along the Gera towards Thuringia’s capital, Erfurt. In the evening you can stroll around the “Thuringian Rome” individually.
DAY 7, ERFURT – WEIMAR, 25 KM
In the morning you are shown the most important places of interests concerning Bach. After the city tour we reach our destination Weimar on a short stage along the “Thuringian city-chain”. In the evening we will hear the opening concert of the Bach Biennale.
DAY 8, BACH BIENNALE WEIMAR
In Weimar, you are guided around the surviving Bach sites, such as the city castle and city church, where many of Bach’s children where baptised. After this there is some time to explore the city. In the evening we will join an event of the Bach Biennale.
DAY 9, BACH BIENNALE WEIMAR
Today we visit further concerts of the Bach Biennale in different parts of the beautiful city of Weimar.
DAY 10, DEPARTURE
After breakfast, everyone will embark on their individual journey home. Alternatively, you can join our shuttle to Mühlhausen.
INCLUDED IN THE PRICE:
- nights at mid-range hotels incl. breakfast and lunch packs or picnics (on cycling days)
- 1 group dinner in Ohrdruf
- All entrance fees to museums and churches: city hall-archive Mühlhausen, Church Marien Mühlhausen, Church Divi Blasii Mühlhausen, Bachhaus Eisenach, Bachstammhaus Wechmar, Ehrenstein Castle Ohrdruf, Michaelis Church Ohrdruf, Bachhaus Arnstadt, Palace Museum Arnstadt, Traukirche Dornheim (Wedding Church)
- City tours in Eisenach, Ohrdruf, Arnstadt, Erfurt, Weimar
- Organ tours and organ concerts in Church Divi Blasii Mühlhausen and Bach Church Arnstadt, Wender organ
- Luggage transport from first to last hotel
- List of equipment
- Sheet music and information leaflets on Bach’s compositions
- Double guiding
The booking is processed via our operator terranova-Touristik.
8 days cycling tour: 1390,-€ p.P. double room, single room supplement 160,-€
- Concerts/events Bach Biennale Weimar and 2 nights in Weimar: 240,-€ p.P. double room, single room supplement 60,-€
- Rental trekking bike (60,-€) or rental e-bike (180,-€); all bikes include bike bags, locks, tools and helmet
- Return shuttle from Weimar to Mühlhausen, incl. person, luggage and individual bike (40,-€)